The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has made several changes to the prescribing information for Plavix (clopidogrel bisulfate tablets; Bristol-Myers Squibb and Sanofi).
The updated box warning include the following:
WARNING: DIMINISHED ANTIPLATELET EFFECT IN PATIENTS WITH TWO LOSS-OF-FUNCTION ALLELES OF THE CYP2C19 GENE
[one_second][info_box title=”” image=”” animate=””]
- Effectiveness of Plavix depends on conversion to an active metabolite by the cytochrome P450 (CYP) system, principally CYP2C19
- Tests are available to identify patients who are CYP2C19 poor metabolizers
- Consider use of another platelet P2Y12 inhibitor in patients identified as CYP2C19 poor metabolizers
Xcode offers genetic test that helps in determining whether a patient is a carrier of loss of functions.
- The test is required only once in lifetime
- The test is done using saliva (non-invasive) sample
- The patient will benefit from significant cost savings
If you are a physician and interested in offering the test to your patients, please contact us.