How to download your Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) raw data.
To download DNA raw data from Family Tree DNA FTDNA, follow the simple steps given below:
- Log in to your Family Tree DNA FTDNA account.
- Select “myFTDNA”, from the menu bar.
- From the drop-down option select “Family Finder” and then “Download Raw Data”.
- Here you will find a number of options labeled as “Build 36 Autosomal Raw Data” or “Build 37 Autosomal Raw Data”. The number will not affect your results in any way. However, choose the file your third-party raw data service provider specifically asks for.
- This opens a *.gz file (similar to a *.zip file) automatically.
- Click “Save” to save it and you are all set!
- KEEP A TAB ON WHERE THE FILE IS SAVED.
- If your unzip utility, or some other program tries to open the program, it is important that you try to save the file without opening it, unzipping it, or altering it in any way.
- Do not rename or unZip the file.
Go to www.familytreedna.com
Enter your kit number and your password and login to your account.
From your account dashboard select the “Family Finder” tab.
From the drop-down menu select “Download Raw Data”.
You will be taken to a page with 2 options for your raw data
Build 37 Autosomal Raw Data
Build 36 Autosomal Raw Data
The two numbers indicate different versions of the way the human genome is structured
*This will not affect your results in anyway
Watch video on “How to download raw data from Family Tree DNA”.