Changes In Certain Genes Can Increase Your Risk For Anxiety.
What Is GABA?
GABA, or Gamma-Aminobutyric acid, is a neurotransmitter.
The brain produces this amino acid naturally.
Its primary function is to communicate between brain cells.
GABA decreases neuron and central nervous system activity in the brain.
It has many positive effects on the body, such as:
- Stress reduction
- Increased relaxation
- Calm and balanced mood
- Better sleep
- Pain reduction
How Does GABA Work?
GABA mainly inhibits neurological activity in the brain.
Doing this promotes a calm and relaxed mood and reduces stress and anxiety.
- GABA helps in maintaining the balance of the body, also called homeostasis.
- GABA is antagonistic to stress-inducing hormones like cortisol and adrenaline.
- By counteracting their effects, GABA reduces anxiety and depression and prevents insomnia.
- GABA helps to maintain the proper functioning of the body’s immune system.
- It regulates appetite and increases metabolism rates.
- GABA supports gut health to some extent.
How Does GABA Reduce Anxiety?
GABA is an anti-anxiety neurotransmitter secreted in the brain.
GABA opposes the action of adrenaline.
Stressful situations cause the secretion of this hormone.
For example, our adrenal glands undergo stimulation when we are in a fight-or-flight situation.
As a result, these glands secrete the hormone adrenaline.
Adrenaline speeds up our heartbeat and increases our blood pressure.
GABA opposes these effects by signaling our brain to relax.
GABA Dosage For Severe Anxiety? How Much Do You Need?
Consulting your doctor before starting any medication is always a good idea.
The following doses have been found in studies and should be verified by a doctor first.
If you wish to treat your anxiety with GABA supplements, consider taking 100-200mg.
If your goal is to treat high blood pressure, consider taking at most 10mg of supplements.
##Please note that GABA can be taken only upon consulting a qualified doctor. If you experience any adverse side effects, dial 911 or call your doctor immediately.
Other Benefits Of GABA
GABA is an essential inhibitory neurotransmitter.
It helps your brain to relax after facing stressful situations.
But GABA is also used to treat several other medical conditions.
- For chronic pain: People who suffer from chronic pain can benefit from taking GABA supplements.
- For symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS): It treats inflammation and pain caused by PMS.
- For stabilizing blood pressure: High blood pressure can often result in heart failures and strokes.
- For obesity: Obesity is a chronic health issue that can cause severe damage to the body in the long run.
A study shows that GABA reduces triglyceride levels in the body.
It also increases lean muscle mass.
Thus GABA regulates the body’s cholesterol levels.
Side Effects of GABA
GABA supplements are still under research.
It needs to be clarified how much GABA supplements people should take and how frequently.
GABA supplements are also said to have caused common side effects like:
- Stomach upset
- Muscle fatigue
- Shortness of breath
It is always advisable to consult your doctor before starting any medication.
Who Should Avoid GABA?
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid GABA.
There is not enough research to show whether it is safe to use by new mothers.
People with high blood pressure should also avoid GABA supplements.
GABA has a blood-pressure-lowering effect.
It should be used carefully with high blood pressure medications, as it can cause external blood pressure when used together.
Natural Ways To Boost GABA Levels
Some natural ways to boost GABA are:
- Yoga: Studies show that relaxation techniques like yoga naturally increase GABA levels in the body.
- Deep breathing: This relaxing exercise boosts GABA levels in the brain.
- Brisk activity: Exercising increases GABA levels.
- A healthy diet: Some vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and sweet potato help boost GABA levels in the body.
Summary: GABA Dosage For Severe Anxiety
GABA is a neurotransmitter secreted in the brain.
It is an anti-stress chemical that helps the body relax.
It is antagonistic to stress-causing hormones like cortisol and adrenaline.
GABA promotes sleep, prevents depression, reduces obesity, and controls blood pressure.
Doctors prescribe GABA supplements as a treatment for severe anxiety.
However, it would be best to take any supplement after consulting the doctor.
There are also natural ways to boost GABA levels in the body, like exercising and having a healthy diet.