Avocados, being high fiber-dense, play a crucial role in weight loss by suppressing the appetite and promoting metabolic health. A recent study has reported that an avocado a day could help redistribute belly fat in women towards a healthier profile. The study further reported that avocados could also impact the way body fat is stored.
The Types Of Abdominal Fat
There are two types of abdominal fat in the human body.
The fat present right underneath the skin is called subcutaneous fat.
The fat stored in the deeper layers is called visceral fat.
Image: Types of abdominal fat
Subcutaneous fat can be pinched, but the visceral fat can only be seen and measured and not pinched.
Several factors are responsible for the accumulation of belly fat, including poor diet, lack of exercise, and stress.
However, improving nutrition, increasing activity, and making other lifestyle changes can help in losing the accumulated fat.
Health complications from subcutaneous fat are more harmful than complications from visceral fat.
Excess belly fat can increase the risk of:
- Heart diseases, including heart attacks
- Type 2 diabetes
Health Benefits Of Avocado
It is very easy to dismiss the weight loss properties of avocados due to their high-fat content.
However, the fact that its fat is healthy contributes significantly to its weight loss features.
Avocados help in weight loss in different ways.
- The high levels of healthy fat present in avocados can make people feel fuller between meals.
- In addition, eating good fat slows down the breakdown of carbohydrates which helps in maintaining stable blood sugar levels.
- Avocados are high in both fat and fiber - eating foods that are rich in fat and fiber will lead to a feeling of fullness and loss of appetite.
The Study - The Effects Of Avocado On Abdominal Fat
A randomized controlled trial was conducted by Naiman A Khan at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign to study the redistribution of belly fat by eating avocados.
The study included 105 overweight and obese adults.
The participants were given one meal per day for 12 weeks.
One group received a fresh avocado in their daily diet.
The other group ate a similar diet without avocado.
The participants’ glucose tolerance (a measure of metabolism) and abdominal fat were measured at the beginning and end of 12 weeks.
The following observations were made:
- Women who consumed avocado as a part of their daily diet showed a reduction in their visceral abdominal fat
- The fat distribution in men remained the same
- The glucose tolerance showed no improvements in both the genders
The researchers hope to conduct a follow-up trial where they plan to observe the changes in the gut and physical health in response to avocado consumption.
These results can aid nutritionists and other healthcare professionals in providing better dietary recommendations to reduce fat storage and lower diabetes risk.
The Best Ways To Consume Avocados To Reduce Fat
- The simplest way to enjoy avocados is by sprinkling a pinch of salt and pepper over them
- Avocados can be topped with crumbled, cooked bacon and seasoned with fresh herbs and spices like parsley
- Using pureed avocado as a spread on toast and sandwiches adds extra vitamins and minerals
- Avocado fries can make a savory side dish or a substitute for potato fries
- Avocado can be used as a vegan substitute for butter, eggs, and oil in baking
- Avocados are an excellent source to reduce fat due to their high fiber content.
- A recent study has found that an avocado a day can help in the redistribution of belly fat.
- According to the study, women who consumed avocado as a part of their daily diet showed a reduction in their visceral abdominal fat.